Friday, January 20, 2012

The social network works!



Yes, it works! Of course, you'll all say that you knew that.


But here's my example, today, which shows how effective and instant it can be. I phoned a business establishment and was leaving a message for a particular employee. This is more or less how it went.

So I say my name, "Diane Browne."

The person I'm speaking to says, "Diane Browne. Diane Browne? I know that name. Are you the writer?"

"Yes," I say. "How do you know?"

"I follow your blog."

"You do! Oh, are you a writer?"

"No, I'm a children's book illustrator, but I work at (this) now."

So I exclaim with delight and urge her not to give it up, which of course she won't.


So what's so great about that?

Well, here it is. I have been looking for a children's book illustrator. I know a number of fine ones, but every now and then I want to match a particular style to a particular story. I have the story; I do not, of course, have the money. But suppose I had! Suppose I could get it! The important thing is that today I discovered how quickly one could make a contact; how serendipitous it all coud be.


So you all knew this already! However, while I'm aware that we can make contacts on Facebook, and I've seen some illustrators' work there which I really love, it's the first time I've made a contact solely through my blog. Pretty cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment