Friday, September 24, 2010

Third chapter still holds my interest

Hi Guys

I've been overwhelmed almost, with a rush-job, so missed out on my weekly blog. Right now listening to Desmond Decker: You Can Get If You Really Want, and others. I work to my CDs, different ones to suit my mood, or perhaps even create a mood. Yes, I know there's music on the Internet; I've been introduced to it, but I like my hand-picked CDs.


My post has to do with the story Fly Guy in the Youthlink magazine. I read this week's, the third chapter, and again I want to know what is going to happen next. A new male character has been introduced, and he presents a bit of a mystery.


As I said in the last blog, I'm interested in this work by Gwyneth Harold because I think it's an approach that might interest our young adult male reluctant readers, and even the girls. Set in Jamaica - the familiar; an exciting occupation - a pilot, not unattainable by any means, because anybody can do anything ( you may need to get a scholarship, but it's something that could happen), a story with an edge to it, a modern edge. Gwyneth gets just the right amount of information and tension into such a short section/chapter. The story intrigues me.

I had said when I started this blog that I wouldn't be reviewing other writers' work, but rather telling you what I like about the work. (Of course, I also give you my opinion on issues). However, I think this rule can be expanded to include work which fascinates me, draws our attention to what other writers are doing, especially in a market which is as challenging as ours is. I believe that any Caribbean writer who succeeds in any way enriches us all. No, guys I'm not preaching! I'm simply saying what you all know to be true.

No comments:

Post a Comment