Sunday, April 15, 2012

Books for our overseas relatives: Books for boys

As I said in my previous post, persons always ask for books for their grandchildren, nieces, nephews abroad. These requests usually come at Christmas, or recently, for Easter. And interestingly, someone actually asked about books for boys, not for any special season, but as a way of connecting a boy to his roots. There are actually now quite a few books for the younger age group which will be enjoyable to both boys and girls, however I thought I'd focus on the older age group, 9-12, for which the request was made. This does not preclude those below or above that age group reading these books; and of course, boys her at home will also enjoy them.






Delroy in the Marog Kingdom by Billy Elm, Macmillan, 2009, an adventure with all sorts of strange fantasy creatures.





Bernie and the Captain's Ghost by Hazel Campbell, Carlong Publishers, 2010, and adventure with real danger.



Whereas I've mentioned the two previous books before, I've only just recently got a copy of the next.
Ferdie the Fisherman in Negril by Dennis Ranston, Twin Guinep Publishers, 2008. This story has adventure, but it also has a wealth of information about Jamaican cultural practices woven into it. The delightful illustrations by Dennis remind us of a fascinating way of life in Jamaican.



I have, from time to time, promised a number of people to give them a list of Jamaican children's books, so perhaps I should try to get this done for Independence, with the added information concerning their availability, that is, whether they are in print. We'll see. I think it's a good idea. I can also include books form the wider Caribbean. Please tell me about any that you know about.


2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this exposure Diane. I wrote a post on "Books for Boys at Bookland" listing books which are actually on the shelves. You can see it on my blog on Oct 20, 2011. You are welcome to repost.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Helen. I'll check on it and see. I've just had some new things installed and I'm trying to find my way through this virtual technological world. Takes so much time. I'm now going to see if I can still post happily. Upgrades are so annoying.

    ReplyDelete